5 2030
View: 2030|Reply: 5

GPS poor performance

[Copy link]

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-10-14 16:53:41 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by graphicsxp at 2016-11-27 18:47 \n\nPROBLEM IS THE SAME AS FOR UMI SUPER : http://community.umidigi.com/thread-3433-1-1.html
FOLLOWING UMI'S REPLY BELOW, I HAVE RETURNED MY PHONE AND BOUGHT A NEW ONE FROM ANOTHER SELLER IN ORDER TO AVOID GETTING A PHONE FROM THE SAME MANUFACTURER BATCH.
THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE !  THE GPS SIGNAL IS VERY WEAK AND THE PHONE IS UNUSABLE FOR THAT PURPOSE.

CONCLUSION: UMI PHONES ARE BAD. DO NOT BUY THEM AS UMI WILL NOT HELP YOU AND WON'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE THE ISSUE !

I have just received my UMI Max two days ago. Everythings seems to work fine but I'm going to return it for one reason, unless someone has a solution to this problem:  the GPS is so bad !

I live in Europe and wherever I drive, the GPS every so often looses track and shows me the wrong position. It often happens when I drive on smaller countryside roads (but not that small). My car GPS or my previous Nokia phone do not have this issue. I've tried GoogleMap and Here Map but the problem remains the same.

Apparently I'm not the only one having this issue:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8PWKuvULaU

I've upgraded the phone to latest firmware (which was a pain to do because the update did not automatically installed - I had to do it manually using ROM).

To me this is a major issue because I use my phone for mountainbiking and in forest condition, the GPS of the UMI Max is useless.

Has someone found a fix for this ? Is UMI working on fixing it ?

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-10-15 05:24:05 | Show all posts
+1 same problem here
Post time 2016-10-15 06:44:11 | Show all posts
Dear UMi users,

Despite the strict control of manufacturing, a very low amount of defective devices may leave the factory sometimes. Not even the high-end models of the greatest brands are exceptions.
Galaxy S6 Edge GPS Issues
iPhone 6S GPS Problem
Some defections get discovered only after a few hours of usage or caused by the environmental conditions while the device was being shipped to the buyer. If the WiFi, 4G, GPS or even bluetooth services don't work properly, that's not always about a software bug or an antenna connection issue. Even if just a small SMD resistor on the motherboard doesn't work at its reference value or loses its connection, that may cause an unstable working of the related hardware.
However, you are always covered by the warranty that your reseller provides you. That's always possible to return a defective item for a replacement if you bought it from a reliable retailer.
We at UMi while apologize for any inconveniences that a such defective smartphone of ours causes, sincerely ask you to not to try to repair it by your own. If you read about a solution somewhere, you never can be sure that will work in your case as well. However, by such attempts you risk the warranty of your purchase and may cause even more serious troubles in your device. UMi never releases a new device that shows considerable defections after thorough testing. There are no UMi smartphones on the market with bad working mobile data, WiFi, GPS or bluetooth due to ill-considered design. All such issues are the results of accidental, unforeseen conditions and are covered by warranty.

Sincerely yours,
Ben@UMi

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-10-20 19:25:49 | Show all posts
Same problem here too

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-10-27 16:40:49 | Show all posts
After some use of GPS for navigation, here is what I think about the problem. I have almost no problems with GPS, except for the jumping position, however it occurs very rarely. The signal of the GPS satellites is strong, even stronger than my previous phones and the satellites are found very fast. What I think the problem is, is the software, because it looks that my phone is trying to fix me with too low information, it fixes position with 3 satellites only, which is quite unusual. And as it should be expected, the position jumps after several seconds to a new one. Probably, this problem can be fixed with the engineering menu, but it's better if it's fixed in the next ROM.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-11-27 18:48:48 | Show all posts
See my update  above. I don' think it is a software issue, UMI would have fixed it by then. GPS quality is just awful as described in this post : http://community.umidigi.com/thread-3433-1-1.html

You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMIDIGI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

Quick Reply Top Back to list