44 45369
View: 45369|Reply: 44

USB Data Transfer (MTP)

[Copy link]

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-7-27 06:00:53 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by cr45h at 2016-7-27 12:52 \n\nEdit: USB Data Transfer works now. Had to be more aggressive with the cable. See post 5.

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction. When I connect my phone to my computer via USB, it does nothing. There is no dropdown on the phone (so that I can choose MTP mode) and nothing appears on my computer either. I've tried two different USB-C cables plus a micro-usb with an usb-c adapter. I've also tried multiple USB ports. No luck. How is everyone else transfering files? Thx.

-cr45h
Post time 2016-8-25 04:16:27 | Show all posts
Here's a solution to install a working MTP driver under Windows 10. Tested on two different computers running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

1. Open your windows device manager.
2. Right click on the unidentified MTP device (or just Unknown device) and choose 'Update driver software'.
3. Brows my computer... --> Let me pick from a list...
4. Select Media Center Extender in the list of device types

5. There can be any number of items in the following list (depending on your specific system) but you have to select the one called simply 'MTP USB Device'. The others starting with 'MTP Device' (without 'USB') won't work.

6. Click on Next and you're done.

The details of the installed driver should be the following:

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-7-27 07:02:29 | Show all posts
I just can tell you that when I connect it to my computer I can change the different modes when swipe down so info center is shown. There I can change accordingly. If this does not appear check with original USB cable at a different computer.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-7-27 10:40:54 | Show all posts
I just used the supplied USB cable to connect to my laptop (Windows 10). When I plug it in the computer makes the normal sound and then on the phone, if I drag down I have the options for Charging, MTP, PTP, USB Storage, MIDI and Built in CD-ROM.
The first time you plugged it in did Windows install drivers for it? Does it appear in Device Manager?

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-7-27 12:06:11 | Show all posts
Go to dev settings and click USB debugging then try plugging in the USB to the computer and it should mount the phone and any memory cards.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-7-27 12:51:28 | Show all posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up trying my wife's phone and it worked right away. So, then I got a lot more aggressive with my own phone. Plugged it in multiple times and wiggled the cable around using a bit of force. It eventually registered...so I'm happy now.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-8-17 17:52:44 | Show all posts
I connected my UMI Super via the original cable to my PC using Windows 10 and USB3 and could immediately access the internal data in Windows explorer and successfully copied photos from the phone - astonishingly see only the about 25GB usable internal storage, not the additional internal storage that I added by my 64GB SD-card - would be great to see that, too!

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-8-17 20:06:42 | Show all posts
Try anyone USB Storage? When I choose it, I have new drive in windows explorer, but I can´t open it a work with phone like another USB storage:-(

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-8-17 23:04:11 | Show all posts
I have to withdraw my posting above:  now, in a later attempt, I get no connection to my computer again!  --- I restarted both, PC and phone, but only get charging connection, PC does not get connection to phone any more. Re-booted phone again and again and connected and turned cable - no success any more - also changed connect-type in drop down menu; also tried USB storage:  no reaction from PC.
It feels, as if cable/connector seems not reliable on phone:  exchanged connection to my old phone and worked immediately, so PC still all ok, but UMI offers drop-down menu (not charge only) but gets no connect.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-8-18 13:28:24 | Show all posts

Please times with Windows 7 try if possible . I got yesterday neither the UMI still with a Sony Z2 connect to the PC via USB . I think it's up to Windows 10

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-8-18 17:00:27 | Show all posts
Thanks for the idea to try with Windows 7 PC - need to search for one for test; mine is win10 now,
but INFO for ALL:   found a software-issue with Win10 or UMI:   

MTP divice driver installation faiilure:  unknown device  !!

Seems I need to manually install a USB device MTP driver - searching for one at UMI ?

(but wondering why it did work in previous attempt - maybe an undercover update)
12345Next
You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMIDIGI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

Quick Reply Top Back to list