Windows MTP driver installation (obsolete, already only for Win7 & 8.x)

bencebacsi Post time 2017-1-17 14:47:41 | Show all posts  Close [Copy link]
15 14394
View: 14394|Reply: 15

Windows MTP driver installation (obsolete, already only for Win7 & 8.x)

Close [Copy link]
Post time 2016-10-10 05:12:26 | Show all posts |Read mode

Since Microsoft released a major update for Windos 7, 8.x and 10 in August 2016, many users face the issue, proper drivers cannot be installed for MTP connection. In Windows you need to connect your smartphone as an MTP device to get access to both its internal memory and the installed SD card.

Here is a solution to install working MTP drivers under Windows 10 but the same or similar method also works in older Windows releases.

You still do not need anything else but only the embedded Windows system drivers.

UPDATE April 1. 2020: You might still need this solution if you have Windows 7 or 8.x installed on your PC. You surely don't need this anymore for Windows 10.

Simple method: download the wpdmtp.inf file, connect your phone to USB and unlock the screen, right click on the file and select Install.
If the method above doesn't work, follow the instructions below.

1. Open your windows device manager.
2. Right click on the unidentified MTP device (or just Unknown device) and choose 'Update driver software'.
3. Brows my computer... --> Let me pick from a list...
4. Select Media Center Extender in the list of device types
mtp_dev_list.png

5. There can be any number of items in the following list (depending on your specific system) but you have to select the one called simply 'MTP USB Device'. The others starting with 'MTP Device' (without 'USB') won't work.
mtp_usb_device.png

6. Click on Next and you're done, your device will be automatically detected by Windows.

The details of the installed driver should be the following:
mtp_driver_details.png

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-11-6 03:33:48 | Show all posts
Muchas gracias, ahora funciona perfecto.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-10-29 05:31:47 | Show all posts
thanks, but the issue is I'm not even getting "unidentified MTP device or Unknown device" in control panel? nothing, tired two computers and two cables, still nada....  

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2017-1-13 17:52:38 | Show all posts
ircmer replied at 2016-11-6 03:33
Muchas gracias, ahora funciona perfecto.

Greeting from Jakarta everyone,
I just received my beautiful UMI Plus E yesterday and immediately facing two serious issues:
1. The USB Type C didn't fit perfecly, so it was loose very easily even with a small touch. I also using UMI Super and have no issue with this.
2. Both my UMI Super and Plus E cannot connect to computer.
I have tried all suggestion on this Forum but still doesn't work. Device Manager USB Bus controllers all working well and no indication of connection with UMI, USB Debugging on and USB Confirmation on MTP mode, but all didn't work.

I have asked this to UMI thru email but no answer.

Anybody can help me on this please? Thanks

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2017-1-14 11:34:43 | Show all posts
Perfect thanks spent hours trying to install drivers found on the internet!

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2017-1-14 11:37:27 | Show all posts
Try double clicking on the tab "MPT USB"
 Author| Post time 2017-1-15 11:34:04 | Show all posts
TheClimb replied at 2017-1-13 17:52
Greeting from Jakarta everyone,
I just received my beautiful UMI Plus E yesterday and immediately  ...

Hi,

1. Push the cable connector into the socket until it clikcs in and the metallic part becomes completely invisible.
2. You have to unlock the screen to get access to the storages of your phone from your computer. You don't need USB debugging for storage access, only MTP.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2017-1-15 13:25:41 | Show all posts
bencebacsi replied at 2017-1-15 11:34
Hi,

1. Push the cable connector into the socket until it clikcs in and the metallic part becomes c ...

Hi,
Thanks so max for your suggestion on the USB connector.
I also use UMI Super and after your suggestion just realised that the metallic part of UMI Plus E is about 1mm longer than the UMI Super (or other normal USB Type C cable). I am not sure if this is normal, but from now on I can only use the original data cable from UMI Plus E. Again thanks for your solution.

As far as the connection to the computer's concern, I have tried your suggestion to unlock the screen but no luck.

I tried to update the driver but also no work. See attached capture of my Device Manager.

Capture.JPG
 Author| Post time 2017-1-15 14:23:26 | Show all posts
TheClimb replied at 2017-1-15 13:25
Hi,
Thanks so max for your suggestion on the USB connector.
I also use UMI Super and after your su ...

Yes, the UMi Plus and Plus E have deeper Type-C connectors due to their design.
It seems to be a simple contact error at you. If both phones with both cables has the same connection error, then it's most probably caused by your computer. Try to use a different (back panel) USB port or another computer.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2017-1-17 14:47:41 | Show all posts
Thanks mate and sorry for late response.
I am now OK with my computer as the UMI Plus E data cable working correctly, it automatically recognised by my laptop.
123Next
You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMIDIGI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

Quick Reply Top Back to list