28 8458
View: 8458|Reply: 28

Umi Max Fingerprint Sensor Bug / Fingerprint Scanner Not Working Correctly

[Copy link]

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-12-13 09:44:22 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Random25252 at 2016-12-13 09:54 \n\nThere is a bug (Present for me as of version V1.01_20161017) where the fingerprint sensor does not work correctly. The fingerprint sensor will often not register the fingerprint correctly, and often it registers fake touches that never took place. This problem is also experienced and described by various other people in this update thread: http://community.umidigi.com/thread-5061-1-1.html
I enjoy the Umi Max and would like for this issue to be fixed within the next update.

P.S. I am new to this forum so sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, please advise me where to put it.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-12-13 11:51:55 | Show all posts
I would also be keen to hear an official response on this from UMI, as the fact that such a basic function of the phone does not work correctly is absolutely disgraceful. There is no excuse for this, and shows just how pathetic Umi's approach to software really is. Overall, I get the impression that they just don't care, because being Chinese, they assume that they don't have to. BUT, they do! Sell anything in the EU, and you are subject to the legal terms and conditions set out by the EU itself. Therefore, I can legally sue UMI, (and would win too), should they not offer correct warranty support. Do not let these, clearly, untrustworthy people fob you off, as they have responsibilities that they MUST adhere to. They can try and fob you off all they like, but suing them in your local courts will provide you a win, and Umi will have to pay up to fix/ replace your phone, and will also have to cover all of the legal costs incurred by BOTH sides. The more people who harass a company like UMI when they fail, the faster they will either improve how they do things, or they will disappear from the market altogether. Either eventuality is a win for the consumer, so lets hope they get their act together. FYI - ALWAYS buy your Chinese tech from reputable EU based sellers (if based in the EU), such as anything that is "fulfilled by Amazon". In that case, Amazon will deal with your returns, and will generally automatically issue a refund, as soon as you report a failure. Amazon does not lose in this scenario, and they could not care less if the Amazon seller that they represent does suffer, as it is simply not their problem. In other words, the Amazon seller will ultimately lose for providing useless hardware, and will be "punished" for doing so. The Amazon seller will be of no help whatsoever (Umidigi for example), as they think that they don't have to, but I laugh my bottom off thinking of how many devices are returned to them, at Amazon's behest, because Umi did such a terrible job of building the hardware or software in question. Returning a device to China, at the buyers expense, is utterly ridiculous. Samsung don't expect devices be returned to Korea should issues occur, for example. These Chinese companies think that they can get away with this practice, by using local sellers or shipping direct from China, but trust me when I say, that buying ANYTHING in your own country, means that the sale is subject to the rigours of your local legal system, and not the joke that is Chinese consumer law. Sorry, this is a bit of a rant, but I am sick to death of these dodgy Chinese companies (and they are always Chinese) pretending like they don't have to care about their consumers. If your hardware is broken Umi, you WILL replace it for free (including Postage and Packing). If you do not, I would sue you for unjustified enrichment, and would also sue you under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. Umi would lose. And would therefore have to cover all costs involved by both sides. If Umi's software is defective to the point of rendering a device (or specific function) useless, then Umi is responsible. Either they fix the issue, or they provide full restitution, IE - a refund of all purchase costs including postage. There is no other acceptable situation/ excuse, and whatever nonsense Umi might come out with, they are not telling the truth. DO NOT listen to their excuses, and do not be fobbed off by them. If they prove difficult, then sue them, as this is the only language that these dodgy companies truly understand, especially if the costs cause them to go out of business.

I am considering buying a Umi Max, BUT I will not be buying from Umi or Umidigi, as I am pretty sure that the device will go wrong and that I will need after sales support. Therefore I will, instead, buy from Amazon (as a fulfilled by order), and should anything go wrong I will be able to deal with Amazon themselves, and not some awful Chinese supplier such as Umidigi. Seriously Umi, just do your job properly. It is not difficult, it does not cost much money, and if you deal with it properly, you will soon find yourselves being respected and liked. If you do not, however, then Umi will forever be known as being a dodgy company, with pathetic software support, and you will NEVER be able to get a foothold in the worldwide market.

In other words, do Umi want to be a bit time player in China only, or do you want to be a player in the global marketplace? The latter means more sales, more revenue, and more profit, but maybe you want to be poor and unsuccessful??
Post time 2016-12-13 15:24:24 | Show all posts
Hi
Several times you could read what you need to do to fix finger print issue. Firstly go to settings >security >fingerprint>add fingerprint >and then press calibrate (please follow screen information). Then I advise you to register fingers again.
Post time 2016-12-13 15:41:47 | Show all posts
Thedons1983 replied at 2016-12-13 11:51
I would also be keen to hear an official response on this from UMI, as the fact that such a basic fu ...

Hi
I can see that you have big problem with reading to mutch Google and other forums (how to sue companies). But if you start thinking you understand that umi is selling phones in China with Chinese roles and this is only your choice to buy from resellers pages and ship product to your country. That why customs asking you and only YOU to pay VAT and /or customs duties charges. Of course umi have some small problems with hardware or software which could happen in production but don't forget that big companies as Samsung or Apple didn't solve they own faults too. We still trying to help all umi customers and we trying how best we can. Our budget is not as Samsung or Apple but we do not disagree any factory faults and we always recommending contact to seller if you have any hardware problem or if you are not happy with product (depending seller roles). We not hiding any phone specifications which could cause further disappointment in umi customers. Don't forget that price of umi products is most times 3 to 4 times cheaper than other brands which you try all ready sue.
Regards MarcinP

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-12-13 16:12:12 | Show all posts
Edited by Random25252 at 2016-12-13 16:55 \n\n Edited by Random25252 at 2016-12-13 16:22 \n\n Edited by Random25252 at 2016-12-13 16:22 \n\n
MarcinP replied at 2016-12-13 15:24
Hi
Several times you could read what you need to do to fix finger print issue. Firstly go to setting ...

Calibrating the scanner doesn't fix the issue for me sadly! I have tried it multiple times with no change in result. The scanner was also working fine for me before this latest update. (I was on firmware 20160810 before and flashed this update) it worked perfectly while within 20160810 so I doubt it is a hardware issue. Other users have also described the exact same issue. I would appreciate the issue getting looked into and resolved. Thank you for your time.

Post time 2016-12-13 16:59:22 | Show all posts
Random25252 replied at 2016-12-13 16:12
Edited by Random25252 at 2016-12-13 16:55 \n\n Edited by Random25252 at 2016-12-13 16:22 \n\n Edite ...

I hope that when you calibrated you finger print sensor there was no objects around your finger print sensor!
Another solution is to come back to last working ROM in which you was happy.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-12-13 17:22:31 | Show all posts

Edited by Random25252 at 2016-12-13 17:31 \n\nThat is always an option, however the ideal would be for the issue to be fixed within the next software update, I like to be on up to date software and having the issue fixed either before or as part of the update to Nougat is a necessity for me, staying on old software is not a good option.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-12-13 18:14:17 | Show all posts
MarcinP replied at 2016-12-13 16:59
I hope that when you calibrated you finger print sensor there was no objects around your finger pr ...

The recalibrating & re-recording the new fingerprints didn't help. When I moved back to the older rom, the fingerprint scanner worked much better. So, this is not hw faliure.

"I hope that when you calibrated you finger print sensor there was no objects around your finger print sensor! "

Just the phone was around the fingerprint sensor.... This is the situation, when the phones recognises lots of fake touches in one second.

"Another solution is to come back to last working ROM in which you was happy. "

Nice to see this... We would be much happier, if this issue would be fixed the next rom.

Post time 2016-12-13 19:06:53 | Show all posts
Yes when you calibrating sensor then around sensor can't be any object (finger, body skin) as you calibrating to factory setup ( mean 0) then you needs update all your fingers.
About phone updates nobody asking device users to update unless you have any faults with phone as some small hardware differences could be solved through to software update. Conclusion is don't fixing if is everything OK.
IMG_20161213_110610_108.jpg

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-12-14 18:31:38 | Show all posts
tonyk replied at 2016-12-13 18:14
The recalibrating & re-recording the new fingerprints didn't help. When I moved back to the older  ...

"Yes when you calibrating sensor then around sensor can't be any object (finger, body skin)..."

Do you really see me totally fool?
But, Yes, you're right!
I didn't mentioned, that I put it alone on a glass table. I touch the recalibrate, and I ran away at least 5 meters from the glass table, to leave enuogh distance from the phone. Yes, the glass surface was clean, there were no any elctronic devices around the phone. I swear, if you said it to me, maybe there are some radio interferencies from my WIFI, I will shoot my balls.

"as you calibrating to factory setup ( mean 0) then you needs update all your fingers."

I didn't say that I calibrated with factory setup, (just in case) it was just a listing, what this forum's offers as various solutuions from you. Once factory reset, once recalibrate, once this, once that.

"About phone updates nobody asking device users to update unless you have any faults with phone as some small hardware differences could be solved through to software update."

So,  if the umi has realeased an update, we would be better to start praying. If something gets fixed, maybe the update brings new "suprises". I see!

Anyway, I turned off the fingerprint sensor, because I was the fool, when I updated the phone with an update, what the umi officially released.

Ironic on:

I don't know, If I should wait for Android 7 on 24th December.... It could even happen, the phone turns into a toaster.

1234Next
You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMIDIGI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

Quick Reply Top Back to list