33 4108
Author: Andrews

Weird GPS-Problem

[Copy link]

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-8-3 20:15:12 | Show all posts
My phones gps also stopped working couple days ago. I was using Manowaracero's 4.4.4 rom. I might get gps lock after restarting phone but it was lost almost instantly. I downloaded yesterday 4.4.4. SuperStock ROM and i got gps for a while after install but when i tried that today it didn't find satellites anymore. I am also looking a fix for this. I can't use navigator anymore.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-8-4 00:59:06 | Show all posts
So fellow UMI Emax users.
Instructions to fix (maybe temporarily/maybe not):

Step 1: Download  MT GPS ECO FIX
Step 2: Download GPS Test
Step 3: Run MT GPS ECO FIX, hit "Download EPO files" and grant SuperUser (a window pops up; ignore it) - if the download worked there will be little windows on the bottom of the screen - if not - REPEAT!
Step 4: Restart
Step 5: Run GPS fix to test your GPS

Enjoy...

threads

credits

credits

Warmest Heart UMIDIGIerUMIDIGIer

Post time 2016-8-4 08:07:51 | Show all posts
Do you mean GPS EPO FIX?

Tried and doesn't work....

I have been playing around today, works for a while and when it go's often rebooting go's again quickly. I am currently trying to limit how many apps are using the GPS at any one time, using Greenify to shut apps down and not giving permission to many apps wanting to locate my gps when active, early days but with google store/google play services using it by default i think you may be restricted to one more app otherwise it freezes and you've lost the satellites? I have also noticed it mainly happens when using the 4g network and not so much on the wifi so also set to gps only (no wifi/network assist) Like I said too early to tell and a bit of a guessing game at the moment.
I would like to here everyone else experiences with the above (GPS EPO APP) as for me it didn't work.

UMI where is the support here? oh right my device is over 3 months old sorry forgot that means it's now completely off your radar as will I be when I purchase my next device

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-8-4 14:21:04 | Show all posts
Another eMax crapping out on the GPS here also!
And it also started a couple of days ago. I've messed with gps.conf and tried everything I could think of but nothing works. It shares the same symptoms as everyone described here.
So what I'm guessing is that maybe there was an update on some app we are all using (or even on the phone itself that fucks up the GPS).

Maybe if we all post our apps we can find something in common with each other?

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-8-4 18:49:28 | Show all posts
Edited by Andrews at 2016-8-4 18:50 \n\nThe "MT GPS EPO Fix" didnt work for me. Maybe I did something wrong and I have to reped the procedure but I will do that only if it works for other people with the same problem.

I dont think that an app causes this problem. After I flashed my phone to solve this problem I just installed "GPS Test" and the problem wasnt gone. So the only app that could cause that problem is the "GPS Test" but I had installed it for all the time I had the phone. The last Update of "GPS Test" is round about two years ago (tells me the play store) and I never updated the app by mself (no app is allowed to install something without my permission).

threads

credits

credits

Post time 2016-8-4 19:41:28 | Show all posts
GPS gone again this morning arggg....

There are two apps using gps by default, google play store (seems last update was 2nd Aug) & the google play services (last updated on the 29th July)

As i flashed my device and still had issues before I installed anything could it be down to either of these?

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-8-5 02:56:12 | Show all posts
Edited by TechnoZombie at 2016-8-5 02:57 \n\nI've also pointed to the Play Store/Services to be a suspect.

Last night I deactivated the two apps, went to /System/etc and deleted gps.conf and replaced with another one, rebooted the phone and the GPS instantly fixed in 3D INDOORS. Had 12 satellites in view. Left it fixed for about one hour. Then, turned off the GPS and let it "cool down" for another hour or so and turned it back on and again it took about 20 seconds to get a 3D fix indoors.

After that, turned off GPS again, reactivated both services, turned on GPS and now it is not finding any satellites at all.

I haven't tried to replicate this process all over again but I'm suspecting that there's something wrong with these two Google apps.

Can someone go through the steps I did to check if you get the same results?

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-8-5 02:59:13 | Show all posts
Andrews replied at 2016-8-4 18:49
The "MT GPS EPO Fix" didnt work for me. Maybe I did somethi ...

It could still be the Play Store or Google services because as soon as you go online they will silently update themselves so there is still a change that the culprit is one of these (or both)!

threads

credits

credits

Post time 2016-8-5 07:27:42 | Show all posts
My guess is the google play services as my issue started during the weekend - Pokemon Go almost ruined all weekend :-( ,
I have been using my gps fine all day today however if you leave the phone for a while this is when it go's now a number of re-boots and pissing around required to get it going again it often freezes shortly after re-boot a number of times before it's shorted for the day - don't use the phone for a few hours then repeat as it go's again, You can use an app called GPS Locker which helps to keep the gps locked through the day. Still no fix though ...... Umi support nowhere to be seen ?

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-8-5 08:37:55 | Show all posts
So, update:

- I've replicated the steps I did yesterday. Deactivated Play and Services, turned off wifii and 3G, rebooted.
Opened GPS test and it took about 45 seconds to 3D fix 7 satellites out of 9 in view.
Left it runing, a while, turned off GPS and back on again. Managed to get 3D from 8 of 10.

Reactivated the services and went online, WiFi and 3G. At this moment I am indoors with still 8 of 10. However, neither Play or Services have updated themselves yet.

At this point I am 90% sure that it is one of these two fucking up.

Can anyone replicate my steps to check it out?
1234Next
You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMIDIGI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

Quick Reply Top Back to list