setup, data and touchscreen issues - help!?

breathwell Post time 2020-9-18 20:50:01 | Show all posts [Copy link]
17 3561
Author: breathwell

setup, data and touchscreen issues - help!?

[Copy link]

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-4-8 23:35:42 | Show all posts
Hi.
After a bit of sleep, I've noticed the "Engineering Software Download Tool" refers to a different COM0 port number whereas the driver was set up on COM7.
After I launched Option -> Install Drivers from the "Engineering Software Download Tool", it installed the driver once agan, but after doing so, the "Engineering Software Download Tool" started showing COM7 as its port (which matched the driver). From then on, it was able to communicate with the phone.
All in all, it was a bit of a struggle.
I'll let you know whether the new OS build has fixed the problems I was having.
Thanks.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-4-8 23:58:12 | Show all posts
I've installed the new build (http://community.umidigi.com/for ... thread&tid=2471)

There are still 2 problems which remain, and which are a pain in the @ss:

1. No way to set mobile data limit (well, there is in fact the usual sequence but unfortunately after you turn off the data once, and then turn it back on the data limit DISAPPEARS and needs to be set again).
2. There's no way to transfer settings from the old phone - the standard Android 5 (and onwards) "Get Your Apps and Data" function (during the phone setup) is missing.

I could probably live with #2, but #1 is just making this phone a piece of junk. It requires me to set up "data limit"every time I turn data on (one time I will surely forget, and it will eat up all my data allowance, or cost me $$$ when I am in roaming).
Post time 2016-4-9 01:26:08 | Show all posts
Edited by bencebacsi at 2016-4-9 01:27 \n\n
1. You can turn on and set mobile data limit. that's just one more click to activate both at the same place. Or you can use a third party app like My Data Manager.
2. Even if that feature existed, I wouldn't recommend to use it. You can sync your apps with google or you may use a third party app like Titanium Backup with saving your data to a cloud storage.

data_limit.png

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-4-9 01:31:57 | Show all posts
Edited by breathwell at 2016-4-9 05:00 \n\nTwo clicks is not convenient, but in this case it is not even two clicks.
It is:
1) Click on "cellular data"
2) Click on "set cellular data limit"
3) Adjust the slider AGAIN (because it always shows at 1.0Gb even if I changed it previously).
It is too much stuff to do, and not how normal Android phones work. In any case, I normally have a widget on the main screen which I select on/off, without unnecessary fiddling with data limits (I set it just once).

I will take a look at the "My Data Manager" app, thanks. (P.S. I looked at it, it doesn't seem to support the actual *limiting* of the data, only the monitoring - ?)

Regarding saving the settings, I think all of these apps require a rooted phone, and I can no longer do that with the old phone.
Post time 2016-4-9 06:35:24 | Show all posts
Nowadays most of the service providers don't call for additional charges if you use up your data plan, they just seriously limit the bandwidth (at home) or completely stop the service when in roaming. You also should be able to set a roaming data (cost) limit at your service provider. Even if your bearer is not a such one and you tend to use more data than the available amount, that's enough to turn on and off the data service once a month. Background apps use minimal data, you don't have to care about them.
Old smartphones can be rooted subsequently and copying their contents is another task that you have to process only once, when you buy a new phone.
I acknowledge that, these are existing issues but their importance is questionable, at least if the user is willing to be at least a bit creative. A perfect smartphone doesn't exist. Other models have different slighter or more serious issues.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-4-9 07:37:32 | Show all posts
Edited by breathwell at 2016-4-9 16:55 \n\nThanks, bencebacsi.

I frequently want to turn off the data in order to a) be offline and not be bothered by Telegram, Line, Watsapp, Viber, etc and b) to save battery when it is close to running out.
When roaming, I prefer to set the limit at (say) 30mb and control my charges that way. It is not possible to set the cost € limit without telephoning my service provider, and I won't do this every time I wish to use another 10-20mb of data (which in roaming would cost €2-4 at a time). Setting the limit at €100 for the trip, and after that hoping an odd ad banner on which I clicked by accident in Chrome doesn't eat up the allowance is not the way to go either.

I think these are all reasonable approaches that i was able to perform successfully with my old Android phones, but maybe I am a minority and everyone just keeps their data on, all the time, so for them it is not an issue? I have no idea.

I generally like the phone but this bug (it is quite obviously a bug, to have the limit reset to 1gb every time you turn off/on data) is just.unpleasant and would cost me in the long run.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-4-18 06:17:48 | Show all posts
I've tried to install CM12 as an alternative solution to the "Set mobile data limit" bug.
However, I am getting stuck on trying to download & save the QCN file. (problem described here: http://community.umidigi.com/for ... mp;page=13#pid17538)

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2020-9-18 20:50:01 | Show all posts
If you need guide on how to transfer data from one google account to another then I can help you. With the help of our guide you'll be able to migrate not just your personal data, but also your G Suite's organization's.
You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMIDIGI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

Quick Reply Top Back to list