[DISCONTINUED] CyanogenMod 12.1 (for TCL M3G / converted eMAX Mini)

varotone Post time 2016-2-13 02:21:13 | Show all posts   [Copy link]
278 64943
View: 64943|Reply: 278

[DISCONTINUED] CyanogenMod 12.1 (for TCL M3G / converted eMAX Mini)

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
Post time 2016-2-12 09:23:03 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by varotone at 2016-12-27 21:09 \n\nDISCONTINUED
After a bit longer than a year with my eMAX mini, finally it broke down. I have gotten a warranty refund and, for obvious reasons, I won't be buying another eMAX mini.
The builds I have already uploaded will remain in BasketBuild but I won't be building anymore because I won't have the means to test them.
Thank you all for the support, info and good times in this forum.

I
MPORTANT WARNINGIf you currently have R1 or R2 on your phone, please flash R3 or newer as soon as possible. It has been detected that versions R1 and R2 (as well as most CyanogenMod-based roms out there for M3G) contained a service that was probably a trojan. It has been removed in R3 and any newer updates. PLEASE REMEMBER TO WIPE SYSTEM, DALVIK AND CACHE. Thanks to charlik for finding this problem.

Hello, since the CyanogenMod roms that can be found for TCL M3G in chinese forums are not updated regularly and are still filled with bugs and bloatware, I decided to start publishing my own builds.
THIS ROM IS FOR TCL M3G. YOU MUST CONVERT YOUR EMAX MINI TO A TCL M3G IN ORDER TO FLASH IT. Tutorial here,  other (shorter) method here.

What's in my builds?
  • CyanogenMod 12.1 with Android 5.1.1, including usual CM goodies (Multilanguage, theme engine, AudioFX, FM Radio, Snap Camera)
  • Updated frequently to keep up with CM upstream sources and Android security patches
  • Estimated update frequency: between 1 and 2 weeks
  • Clean builds, without any unneeded bits. This means no bloatware or non-CM mods.

Downloads
WARNING: READ FAQ FIRST

ROM: All releases (NO MIRRORS, PLEASE)
Recommended GAPPS: The Open GApps Project, select ARM64, Android 5.1.
Known bugs
  • Screen flicker when automatic brightness is on and the brightness is low.
  • Double tap to wake (DTTW) setting turns off randomly

Installation
  • Flash TWRP if you don't have it already
  • Wipe system
  • If you're not flashing over a CM rom,  wipe data
  • Install ROM zip
  • Install GApps zip (optional)
  • Wipe cache and dalvik (optional but recommended, should be the first step to take in case of problems)

Credits
  • Silentlys, FlourMo (TCL-M3G-dev) for the original device bringup.
  • Kra1o5, fefifofum (armani-dev) for helping me with builds

Sources: https://github.com/ontherunvaro/android_device_tcl_q39

Changelog: https://github.com/ontherunvaro/android_device_tcl_q39/wiki/Changelog

FAQ

Are OTA updates available?Yes, since R5.

How can I contribute to this ROM?

If you know about Android ROM development, please contribute to the source repo with pull requests or issues, or contact me if you're looking for a tighter collaboration (opening an organization).
If you don't know about development, you can always alert of new bugs or errors. Try to provide a logcat and a sufficient description. Always check whether what you're about to report is already on the Known Bugs list.

Your sources suck.
They don't suck as much anymore! I'm cleaning them up, I swear!
(Also, this isn't really a question)

Can you add PIE controls / Omniswitch / this app?
Nope. These builds are here to provide a clean, bloatware-free, pure CM ROM.

Hey, you said there would be updates every 1/2 weeks and it's been 2 weeks and one day since the last one!
This is not my job, and I have limited time. I'll try to publish regularly but I can't promise anything.

Can this ROM be flashed on a regular TCL M3G (not a converted eMAX Mini)?
Sure!

Does the LED work?
Yep, since R2.

Where can I talk to you?You can post your messages in this thread or you can find me at ##q39-dev on irc.freenode.net. Please don't send me private messages with doubts or support requests.
Cheers!

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-10-3 21:42:26 | Show all posts
R16 uploaded.
From now on I won't be updating this thread when new releases are available. The link on the first post now leads to the basketbuild folder, in which you can always find all releases.

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-4-22 04:38:36 | Show all posts
R9 uploaded.

Comments

Thanks Varotone!  Post time 2016-4-22 16:19
Thanks. Good news  Post time 2016-4-22 14:23
Many thanks Varotone. : )  Post time 2016-4-22 08:10

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-7-23 01:37:31 | Show all posts
undersky replied at 2016-7-6 11:55
Are CM 12.1 project dead? long time no have new build?

As I have mentioned before, I am currently busy with other things and cannot mantain/build regularly.So I just build and upload when I can. There will be builds as long as I have this phone, and I have no plans of buying another one for at least a year.

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-4-3 23:33:11 | Show all posts
R8 uploaded.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-2-23 07:19:32 | Show all posts
Edited by BingoBronson at 2016-3-3 21:37 \n\n

Varotone's build of CM 12.1 is definitely ahead of the old 5.0.x version. Clean & lean.

Even though the SD 615 has single channel RAM, it's not the cause for stutters and sluggish response.
With CM 12.1 it's more fluid, even the touch seems to get picked up better, especially the buttons (back/home/menu) respond better in my opinion.

I was testing CM 12.1 R3 on the M3G (with the default screen protector used for shipping) vs. an eMAX mini running the stock OS without any screen protector.
I don't care much about benchmarks, Antutu scores, and "Uber-Leet-Liquid-Smooth-Blazing-Kernel ROMs".
This ROM is stable and delivers a solid performance (GPS Fix in under 20 sec. as well, GPS only, no help from WiFi or cell) and still has a nice set of customization options.

@varotone needs to post a donation link, so we can thank him for his diligent work. ;)
edit: You can show your support by donating through the Basketbuild link.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-5-20 21:46:26 | Show all posts
Edited by antsm at 2016-5-27 16:41 \n\n Edited by antsm at 2016-5-27 16:38 varotone,

Here is a workaround to fix a problem with double tap.

At "android/platform/frameworks/base/services/java/com/android/server/power/PowerManagerService.java" look for a "public void goToSleep(long eventTime, int reason)" method and put there at the beginnig something like:

1. final String state = "on";
  2. FileOutputStream localFileOutputStream = new FileOutputStream("/sys/class/TP-UNLOCK/device/gesture");
  3. localFileOutputStream.write(state.getBytes());
  4. localFileOutputStream.flush();
  5. localFileOutputStream.close();
Copy the Code

This will force turn on double tap every time just before the screen turns off.
In order to make a switcher located in "Settings -> Display" work properly, you could store user choice at settings.db (could be done in "/cmhw/org/cyanogenmod/hardware/TapToWake.java") and modify the code given above to check that before.

As a temporal solution i have made an Xposed module:

tapfix_0.1_ANT.zip (9.42 KB, Downloads: 8)

Comments

LOL thx anymore  Post time 2016-5-23 23:04

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
QQ
Post time 2017-1-21 21:23:18 | Show all posts
Edited by imknown at 2017-1-25 00:11 \n\n..

I have compiled one CyanogenMod 12.1 to the continuity for Varotone's hard working~
http://www.needrom.com/download/cyanogenmod-12-1-imknown-build

More info:
http://bbs.tclmobile.com.cn/thread-37782-1-1.html

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2016-12-30 21:21:58 | Show all posts
varotone replied at 2016-12-27 21:07
DISCONTINUED
After a bit longer than a year with my eMAX mini, finally it broke down. I have gotten  ...

Hi Varotone,
thank you very much for your work, i have been using your ROM from months, and it is the main reason i kept the phone.

Now your ROM it is gone... can you please tell us how you get your refund?

Thanks!

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-4-27 16:23:29 | Show all posts
Edited by varotone at 2016-4-27 16:27 \n\n
kanatoly replied at 2016-4-26 16:51
People,
we have to realize that we are just lucky that Varotone has the same phone with us.
He is ...

Please don't donate to me with this purpose. If you want to donate to thank for what I've already done, go ahead. But I don't know if CM13 will even be possible, I feel like taking donations with that purpose would be like stealing if I finally don't manage to build one. Not to mention that I am currently not working on the rom whatsoever, only building now and then. Let's hope I have more time in the future.
Regarding donations in general: Please keep in mind that I don't build ROMs for the donations. I started building them for myself and decided to publish because I felt like other available ROMs were not very good. I will keep building and, when I have the time, fixing things, as long as I own this phone. I take donations as a 'thank you' not as a 'please keep working'.

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-4-25 16:18:30 | Show all posts
Edited by varotone at 2016-4-25 16:19 \n\n
Vlad_6120 replied at 2016-4-25 09:57
When will you fix message indicator? It blinks 1-3 times and die.

Okay, 2 things:
1- It's rude to ask for ETAs
2- As I've said before, it's as fixed as I can fix it. I fixed the lights library, which is why it works for both notifications and battery. Unfortunately I can't get it to work consistently; it's most likely a kernel issue, which means I can't do anything since we haven't got kernel sources.
I did the best I could, and that's still the best of any ROM out there for either M3G or eMAX mini.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-2-12 09:43:34 | Show all posts
Why not for nonconverted UMI eMax mini?
Post time 2016-2-12 14:03:03 | Show all posts
The eMax mini is a licensed product, both the hardware and software were developed by TCL, so UMI can't create updates by their own. I don't have an exact information about this but I guess, UMI don't have an engineer team with skills related to the Qualcomm platform.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-2-12 15:06:03 | Show all posts
I suggest that TCL 3S and UMI eMAX mini have a different "partition" (memory layout). So, direct installation any firmware from TCL make a brick, but QFIL changes this "partition".
And I hope that people who can make firmware for TCL 3S also can make firmware for UMI eMAX mini.
If this firmware will not require converted phone, I will have able to return on the stock with all installed soft by TWRP's backup.

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-2-12 17:02:53 | Show all posts
Edited by varotone at 2016-2-12 17:06 \n\n
Vlad_6120 replied at 2016-2-12 09:43
Why not for nonconverted UMI eMax mini?

I may develop for unconverted eMAX Mini as well eventually, but at first it makes more sense to develop for TCL M3G since it already has a working device tree and a broader number of ROMs available. Once I am happy with the state of this ROM I will try to port it to eMAX Mini.

Edit: about the "partition": eMAX Mini and TCL M3G do indeed have a different partitioning, and also a different baseband. The different baseband seems to only be fixable manually (QPST), but the ROM has to account for the different partitioning. If we had kernel sources this would be really easy to solve, but that isn't the case.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-2-12 17:25:05 | Show all posts
The different baseband seems to only be fixable manually (QPST),

As I understand, TWPR don't flash QCN (EFS)

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-2-12 21:33:21 | Show all posts
I have used various CM 12.1 and mokee releases that i downloaded from needrom on my emax mini.
I found out that mokee is more stable. I got some force close errors with CM, but the battery life has seriously decreased from the stock rom provided by umi. Therefore, I ask, how is the battery with this rom? If it's any improvement from TCL M3G 3S CM or mokee I'll go for it.
Thanks for sharing your work.

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2016-2-12 23:30:19 | Show all posts
overrid3 replied at 2016-2-12 21:33
I have used various CM 12.1 and mokee releases that i downloaded from needrom on my emax mini.
I fou ...

I don't really know what to tell you about battery as I haven't really measured it. It is a clean no-bloatware ROM, so you won't have any extra apps draining battery (or giving FCs), though. The best way to know is to try for yourself, you can always restore a twrp backup if you don't like my builds.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-2-13 00:04:07 | Show all posts
ciao
I'm forced to make umi emax mini in tcl or I can directly install cm12 and gapps ?
very complicated process transformation

Comments

Read the uppercase, bright red, bold sentence in the first paragraph.  Post time 2016-2-13 01:19

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2016-2-13 02:21:13 | Show all posts
just 'cause I have the red bed wondering if there was a more' simple method to install the cm12 !
You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMIDIGI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

Quick Reply Top Back to list