View: 5720|Reply: 20

UMIDIGI F1 Play (EU) V1.0_20190709 ROM - SPFT + OTA release

[Copy link]
Post time 2019-7-12 03:37:16 | Show all posts |Read mode
This is the SP Flash Tool + OTA release of the
V1.0_20190709 system software
for UMIDIGI F1 Play
(European version)

Flash tool operation is recommended to experienced users only. If you are not yet an experienced flash tool user, please carefully read the flash tool tutorial before proceeding, and strictly follow each instruction.

Except if an authorized or responsible expert directly asked you to do that,
never format the flash chip of your device or you instantly lose your warranty!

UMIDIGI F1 Play receives all updates automatically via FOTA method. You need this tool only in case of emergency (if you've bricked your phone), if you want to apply a clean install or if you want to clear all root access and custom recovery to make your phone able to receive FOTA updates again. Moreover, flashing with SPFT is the only option to repair (replace) damaged system software.

Changelog:
  • Camera watermark corrected
  • New camera app and features added (Night mode, AI scenes detection, FaceCute etc.)
  • Stock ringtone library updated
  • Alarm bug fixed
  • Corrections in Russian UI
  • Other minor bug fixed and system optimized

The system will show UMIDIGI_F1.E_V1.0_20190125 as Build number after this update but the real version is V1.0_20190709
FOTA version: UMIDIGI_F1.E_V1.0_20190125_20190709-1549

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SP Flash Tool
Resources:

Flashtool tutorial: http://bit.ly/SPFTguide

Extract the .rar file before use. The scatter file (MT6771_Android_scatter.txt) is inside the extracted folder, together with the other components

VCOM driver: Windows 10 already automatically can install it (if your computer is connected to the internet) or you can use this: MTK_Driver_Auto_Installer_SP_Drivers_20160804.exe

Here's an optional solution to start the flashing process on your UMIDIGI F1 Play if the standard method doesn't work.
It's especially useful if your phone is bricked or is stuck in bootloop
1. Connect your UMIDIGI F1 Play to USB.
2. Start the flashing process with the Download button in the flasher app.
3. Press and keep pressed the power button of your phone until the flashing process starts (red bar appears at the bottom of the app window), then release it. In this process you have to keep the power button pressed for about 10 seconds.
4. Wait until the flashing process finishes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTA (recovery) update
Manual (local) OTA update method instructions
  • Copy the downloaded .zip file to the internal storage of your phone
  • Go to Settings --> System --> --> Advanced --> About phone --> Wireless update
  • Tap the 3-dot menu button in the top right corner and select Local Updates
  • Brows for the ...update.zip file and select it
  • Select INSTALL NOW, then OK in the Warning window. Your phone reboots into recovery, the update gets installed, then your phone boots into Android. Your updated system is ready to use.

Update file for manual OTA update:
Full flash OTA update, it can update any version

Optional method (in case if the manual OTA update gets stuck): Install from recovery
You need a microSD card (with at least 4GB capacity) installed in your phone!
  • Copy the ...update.zip file to your SD card.
  • Press and hold the volume-up and power buttons together until your phone restarts (the boot screen is displayed), then immediately release the power button and keep only the vol-up button pressed until your phone boots into recovery. It needs about 10 seconds or a little bit less if your phone was already powered off.
  • Here you can see a lying android figure with an exclamation mark in red triangle on its tummy and 'No command'.
  • Press and hold the power and vol-up buttons (in this order) together, then release first the vol-up button to call the recovery menu. Now you can move with the volume buttons and select an item with the power button.
  • Move to ‘Apply update from SD card’ and select it.
  • On the next screen brows for the update file and select it. The updating process will start and needs a few minutes to be finished.
  • After a succcessful installation you can read the ''Install from sdcard complete'' message and the receovery menu is available again.
  • Select 'Reboot system now'. Alternatively you can perform a factory data reset here by choosing 'Wipe data/factory reset'

Kind request from users:
Please report any kind of new issues you experience after installing this update only if you've already flashed this ROM with SP Flash Tool in Firmware Upgrade mode. In rare cases a FOTA update can cause more or less serious malfunctions but that means only the update process went wrong, not a badly developed ROM. An updated stock ROM, especially related to the basic functions will not cause any new issues but will solve some of the existing ones.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-23 05:40:25 | Show all posts
wow, just wow!
We release security patch updates only if a vulnerability gets discovered. By the way, Google never informs us about upcoming security patch updates and they never assist us to apply them.

A new security patch is released the first Monday of EVERY month, there, they've been informed.

They should focus on firmware and make the update system download a generic system image from ASOP

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-13 23:50:03 | Show all posts
Hi,
The system will show UMIDIGI_F1.E_V1.0_20190125 as Build number after this update but the real version is V1.0_20190709
FOTA version: UMIDIGI_F1.E_V1.0_20190125_20190709-1549

this is a bit confusing for your end users, is there any particular reason why you do not update the build number?
Also, I noticed that the security patch level is still January 2019, which is a pitty for an otherwise nice phone.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-12 06:31:55 | Show all posts
Thanks bencebacsi, I'm flashing now.

Does this update contain any fixes for the fingerprint reader unreliability ?

Thats about the only issue I can pick on with my F1 Play, only works very randomly.

Cheers,

com_h

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-12 16:35:42 | Show all posts
My update is downloading now OTA.

I really hope that "Other minor bug fixed and system optimized" includes the memory leak issue, as I'm sick of all apps just reloading instead of resuming from Recents.

Curious to see what the night mode is like as well.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-12 21:05:24 | Show all posts
The new camera software seems to be much improved - had a quick go and it now actually focuses on close up objects (eg my wristwatch) whereas the old software *NEVER* managed to focus on it.

The good thing is it's a separate app, so we have both old and new camera software at the same time (so can revert back if there are issues with the new one).

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2019-7-12 23:06:34 | Show all posts
psprog replied at 2019-7-12 16:35
My update is downloading now OTA.

I really hope that "Other minor bug fixed and system optimized"  ...

I dont think this is a umidigi issue, I guess its a Android 9 "feature" of smart AI power saving, I get the same thing, but if I open a app 10 time a day, it will stick to memory for a couple of days, if I open it only rarely, it wont and will be cleared lots faster. Another thing that helps with the "smart" power saving of Android 9 is unchecking "Standby intelligent power saving"

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-13 09:04:51 | Show all posts
Not sure if its a placebo effect but I think fingerprint reader is improved.

And if you can hold the phone steady night mode seems great,! I did a quick test out the front of our place in the dark, just with street light and I'm very happy.

I'm sure its not up to the Pixel Night Site standard but pretty good, Thanks UMI.
night mode.jpg

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-13 15:49:59 | Show all posts
Edited by psprog at 2019-7-13 16:06  
Felix123 replied at 2019-7-12 23:06
I dont think this is a umidigi issue, I guess its a Android 9 "feature" of smart AI power savin ...

I think it is, as my other Android 9 phone (Xiaomi) with only 3GB keeps all the apps open for days at a time. They all instantly resume, instead of reloading.

This issue is similar to what affected the Pixel 3 after launch, and Google had to patch the build of Android 9 for that device to fix it.

Setting the app priorities in Developer Options (to EXEMPTED for those that you want to not be affected by power saving) has no affect.
Remember that the version of Android 9 is not stock, so we don't have Google's Adaptive Battery, we've got something called "Intelligent Power Saving" and "Battery Manager" instead and god knows what they do!

Now, for instance, I have WhatsApp, Firefox and Google Photos as running apps at the moment. When I go to recents and tap on the last used one just now (Firefox) it's reloading the whole thing, instead of resuming! There are only 3 apps open and over 3GB free RAM (according to developer options). All 3 apps are marked as EXEMPTED in the developer options 'standby apps' which means they ought not to be killed by Google when running in the background, but they are. This leads me to believe it's a memory leak or similar, as behaviour is fine after a reboot for an hour or so then after swapping between the same apps multiple times it starts to occur and gets worse and worse.

Infuriating as it eats data to reload the webpages, and some apps don't remember where you were and when they restart they're back at the beginning/main screen.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-13 15:52:04 | Show all posts
Edited by psprog at 2019-7-13 16:08  

I spoke too soon about the new camera. Video recording is broken.

It takes over 20 seconds for it to change modes from Picture to Video (10 seconds just freezes then after it's switched it hangs again for another few seconds - sometimes it'll time out and the Android dialog appears asking to wait or kill the task).

So, I've now got both camera apps on my home page, the original for video and the new one for pictures ;)
Oh, and the new camera polluted my photos directory. It created 512 cartoon images, around 20 repeats of the same image - looks like it's overlays for "selfie fun" (eg cartoon ears or noses). Took me ages to delete them!

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2019-7-15 22:37:32 | Show all posts
It's a major disappointment that this update (which I got as OTA despite being unlocked and rooted) STILL does not include the latest Android security patches. We're STILL on the January version.

Another thing: Does anybody know how to connect to a WiFi with hidden SSID? When I enter the network details, the option "hidden network" is set to "Yes" by default. The phone does "see" the hidden network but does not connect to it. It seems to retry a couple of times and then sets the connection status to "disabled". :-(
12345Next
You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMIDIGI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

Quick Reply Top Back to list