Author: bencebacsi

UMIDIGI S3 Pro (EU) V1.0_20190708 ROM - SPFT + OTA release

[Copy link]

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-11 05:32:16 | Show all posts
Hello Umidigi,

I wish you well in the long run but as for now... I'm out for several reasons... assuming Amazon will take back the S3 Pro I have had for 2 days.

The reasons are numerous and many.

1.  The camera is horrid.  My 8 year old Lumix 14.1MP compact camera takes FAR better pictures than the bragged about 48MP Sony.  In fact my 12MP Samsung Galaxy Note 4  which is 5-6 years old blows it away with the stock camera (let alone trying a GCam port).  I've tried half a dozen 3rd party cameras at least to no better results.  Heck, my wife's Nokia 6 which runs factory Android 9 takes as good or better pictures.

2.  The combination of hardware does not lend itself to simple TWRP/Su or Magisk rooting and I had not planned to have to go through learning new tools and procedures to make the camera behave as it should.

3.  If you read the threads over on XDA forums about the S3 they are stories of pretty much nightmares, soft bricked and hard bricked phones and having to go back to ADB and Fastboot to begin to get things working again, And also stories of being unable to go back to prior versions of stock ROMs that worked better.

4.  I want to spend more time enjoying phone and grabbing that fleeting moment pic (at higher quality than most smartphones can achieve) without having to spend more time getting the camera to do what it should do to begin with.  

5.  Since it is a strange animal compare to most Qualcomm hardware and it doesn't use all the usual tools and methods for flashing  and tweaking it means starting from scratch with very little assurance that the end result will even work let alone be better than what you started with.

6.  Finally,  my rooted Note 4 running Android 9 RR Rom is about 50% faster than it originally was and the S3 Pro barely doubles some of the benchmarks (against a 6 year old phone running a quad core processor with an older APU and GPU).   I was extremely disappointed to watch the Antutu Benchmarks run on ithe S3.  

7.  So my next move is to simply return the S3 Pro to Amazon.  It is as perfect as new.  I can get a known quantity of a phone with way faster hardware, 2-3 times faster at least, standard hardware SD845 etc, camera with OIS and laser focus and third party / aftermarket support and developers that will make custom mods and ROMs that the S3 Pro will never see.

8.  So, while a I wish you luck, I am done with new experiments, Mediatek processors, all the extra work you have to do to customize anything (the lack of customizations), having to rely on XDA forum GURU's that seem to be the only ones with the knowledge to fix it when you break it.  

9. I would like to say one quite positive comment.  The phone is a work of art and a solid piece.  The ceramic back is wonderful and the packaging is top notch.  Your marketing department has its act together and so do your designers.  And while you use some really good parts, your engineering and programming have  left much to be desired.  My advice... don't try to cut corners.  If the product costs a little more that's better in the long run because people want to USE their smartphones not spend all their time trying to make it be something beyond what it is capable of.  C'mon - you buy the TOL camera equipment and then hamper it with lousy software and sub-par hardware.  Even the Redmi Note 7 (let alone Pro) uses pretty standard hardware and fixed their phone problems right away (even though they chose a generally lesser quality camera setup).

Hope you revise your business model.  You all should be able to produce a camera that rivals the best out there and do it more cheaply if you want to.  But given your business model now Xiaomi and Huawei will eat you lunch and I know you could match them on specs and still beat them on price.

I hope you get it all sorted out.  I really do.  Good luck.

Jay

BTW - Who knows I may end up keeping the Galaxy Note 4 for awhile.  9.0 is running great on it and I'm not a hardcore gamer and it takes very good pics which may be even better when I get a good GCam port flashed.  The S3 should have blown it completely out of the water, but, guess what, it didn't.

My nickname was chosen on purpose... because it fits.  

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-11 21:06:40 | Show all posts
Edited by dragan at 2019-7-11 21:08  

hello I have reported a few days ago due to new firmware. company has no interest in fixing bugs, well the Amazon feel sorry for me and after two months have refunded money
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --
hallo ich habe mich vor paar tage gemeldet aufgrund von neue Firmware . wie ich bis jetzt alles gesellen haben Firma hat keine Interesse Fehler zu beheben , gut das Amazon Mitleid mit mir haben und nach zwei Monate haben Geld erstattet

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-11 23:44:16 | Show all posts
I'm really sorry but I also returned to amazon.
I did it with great regret

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-12 12:29:10 | Show all posts
I tried every camera app I have and even some GCam ports (though there aren't really any made / modded for the Umidigi yet.   Sadly none did any better as far as resolution or sharpness than the stock app and my Samsung Note 4 blew the 48 MP Sony sensor out of the water.  Also sadly I know that the 48MP Sony (even though it is interpolated and is really software making a 12MP camera have supposedly 48MP resolution) is capable of far better pics than we are achieving.  (Same sensor as in the One Plus 7 Pro).  Having said all that the MP ratings are really baloney.  The can call it a 48 MP  sensor but it is not.  It is a 12MP sensor with AI software manipulating it by combining adjacent pixels and doing software magic to try to make it produce the equivalent of a 48MP image.   Find a true 48 MP sensor and you'll see a huge difference between the two.  

In reality it would be much better if the smartphone manufacturers (or the companies that make their cameras) would find a way to put bigger sensors in the cameras.  Then you'd get much higher quality even with just 12MP.  Kind of hard to fit all that into a basically a quarter inch or so.  

In any case, I repacked the S3, admired its build reattached all the protectors and replaced it back in its box and got it ready to return to Amazon.  I't just as perfect as it was when I opened it  Wish I hadn't spent so much time on the camera, but that's life and lesson learned.  I ordered a far more powerful phone SD845 dual 16MP with laser focus (and true 16MP cams) and it is on sale for the same price as the normal S3 price.  If it doesn't do far better it will go back too and I'll be buying a new ultra compact that will blow ANY camera phone away and will be small enough to stick in your pocket.

That's probably the ultimate solution... phones make great phones but they will never match a camera for pics.  I don't need an uber expensive phone to do what a phone needs to do.  It is just convenient for grabbing quick pics at an instant.

Good luck Umidigi.  I'll be watching.  If you can work out the bugs and maybe upgrade the hardware a notch for a little more $$$ you will really take market share from Xiaomi and Huawei.  You've got the forumla fiigured out.  There is not a cellphone made that should cost more than $ 500.00 at the very most (I may make an exception for Apple because it really has top notch apps and the same processing power as their iPads..... but for the money I'd buy the iPad.  Who really wants to do anything major on a 6" screen)  Cellphones are a poor substitute for a laptop, tablet or true camera.

BTW - Bring back some real screen size.  a 6.4" screen is almost a joke as they have gotten too skinny  Give me a 16:9 screen any day these 19+:9 inch screens just don't cut it.  The wider screen has much greater screen area and it's usable screen real estate.  You can fit more icons on a screen or have bigger widgets, etc..  That's what turned me off about Samsung (and then everyone else copied them).  The Note 8 looks like a Hershey bar... not a cellphone.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-12 12:50:00 | Show all posts
Hello dear umidigi team,
i have received the S3 pro now, the phone makes a good impression, if the phone causes problems, i can't say yet. to keep customers, however, it would be important that you update regularly (important: security update). rather bring less smartphones on the market, but update them carefully, as oneplus does, then umidigi can become a real secret tip.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-13 19:25:39 | Show all posts
Edited by UutGrunn at 2019-7-15 19:34  

Deze update via OTA installatie. Het bevriezen van het touchscreen is volledig weg. De telefoon werkt perfekt en is behoorlijk snel.
De foto's die ik maak zijn prima en scherp.
Ik hoop alleen dat UMIDIGI de beveiligings-updates sneller uitrolt.

Comments

Do you use contactless payment?  Post time 2019-7-14 01:32

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-13 22:46:36 | Show all posts
Phone again works perfect no hangups or freezes no problems with wifi or gsn network everything is perfect even the camera works great, i have installed opencamera and this app also works perfect but i use now the latest camera app from umi.
battery is great, really great phone!! i'm very happy with it
My phone is not rooted and is tottaly original.

The only drawback i have is the portruding camera and the original sillicon case, the camera hits the table when i lay it down.
Are there people with better silicon cases? im looking a case with a edge arround the camera hole

Comments

No, having the same "problem" with my silicon case. Greeetings from Germany, Luis  Post time 2019-7-22 20:50
Do you use contactless payment?  Post time 2019-7-14 01:34

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-14 00:21:42 | Show all posts
nothing like that, after updating the display freezes, yes I agree, the camera has become better, there is a night mode, but the display hangs up!

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-14 18:52:38 | Show all posts
is umidigi s3pro planning to upgrade to the tenth android?

Comments

Don't know if Helio P70 is Android Q ready. but I think so. But we'll have to wait what UMI plans. Greetings from Germany, Luis  Post time 2019-7-22 20:58

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2019-7-14 20:47:50 | Show all posts
UutGrunn replied at 2019-7-13 19:25
Deze update via OTA geïnstalleerd. Het bevriezen van het touchscreen is volledig weg. De telefoon w ...

Contactloos betalen nog niet geprobeerd.
1234567Next
You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMIDIGI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

Quick Reply Top Back to list