Should Umi add Sailfish OS to available ROMs?

Umidaze Post time 2015-8-3 07:20:52 | Show all posts [Copy link]
12 1874
View: 1874|Reply: 12

Should Umi add Sailfish OS to available ROMs?

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2015-7-26 10:04:36 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Umidaze at 2015-8-5 08:39 \n\nI think that the great people at Umi should get in touch with the equally great people at Sailfish OS (https://sailfishos.org/) and create a ROM for Umi phones.
It would be great to see the Umi Iron Sailfish.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Single Polls, Total 6 Users voted

Poll is finished

50.00% (3)
50.00% (3)
0.00% (0)
0.00% (0)
0.00% (0)
Your User group have no permission to vote

MockUp of the Umi Iron with Sailfish OS

MockUp of the Umi Iron with Sailfish OS

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits

UMIerDie-Hard UMI Fans

Post time 2015-7-26 11:42:17 | Show all posts
Edited by gruffles at 2015-7-26 11:43 \n\nLooks interesting. Have you had any experience using Sailfish OS Umidaze

Use magic Report

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2015-7-28 06:36:46 | Show all posts
Edited by Umidaze at 2015-7-28 06:39 \n\nHi Gruffles,
I don't have any handson experience I'm afraid. However, if you look at the specs, and know that it will run on many phones, then it is interesting. It is also made by people who used to work for Nokia, and they believe in security and privacy. You are still able to run all the Android apps if you want, but with more security.
What is there not to like

If there is anyone who has had handson experience then it will be interesting to know what they think.

Use magic Report

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
Post time 2015-7-30 18:15:05 | Show all posts
I would try it, but if only the phone gets the latest android bugfree first.

Use magic Report

threads

credits

Post Banned

credits

UMIerDie-Hard UMI Fans

Post time 2015-7-30 22:38:13 | Show all posts
Note: The author has been banned or deleted.

Use magic Report

threads

credits

credits

Warmest Heart UMIerUMIer

Post time 2015-7-30 22:46:34 | Show all posts
Better for Zero

Use magic Report

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2015-7-31 00:14:23 | Show all posts
@whereismymind
I agree with you that Sailfish OS should work great on the Zero.
It shouldn't be too difficult to make it run on all current handsets, especially the 32-bit ones like the Zero.

@Dani
I appreciate that you like both Android and Windows but neither are very good in protecting the user's privacy. If you do not mind that Google or Microsoft know everything about you, including all the details of the people you communicate with, then that is your choice.

This is exactly why I think that it would be great if Umi could show that they truly care about their customers by adding Sailfish OS to the avaialble ROMs. Offer more choice and let the people decide if they want to go for "privacy & security" or "generic & buggy".

Choice is good.
Privacy is good.
Respect is good.

Use magic Report

threads

credits

Post Banned

credits

UMIerDie-Hard UMI Fans

Post time 2015-7-31 21:45:40 | Show all posts
Note: The author has been banned or deleted.

Use magic Report

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2015-8-2 10:27:30 | Show all posts
Edited by Umidaze at 2015-8-2 10:40 \n\n
I am uncertain how you know that Windows is more stable. Have you used a Jolla handset with Sailfish, or have you tried Sailfish on an Umi handset?

What do you mean with Windows is "safer"? If you mean more secure than I beg to differ.
Windows is just like Android and iOS. Whatever you put into your phone will be send to Microsoft (or Google or Apple). if you want security, and thus more privacy, then you have only a few choices. Sailfish, what this poll is about, is one of those choices. Another could be Blackberry, but pretty much all Android handsets are a bad choice for keeping your information private.

This is not the place to argue about what people want, or what you or I think of individual operating systems. If you choose to share your private data with big companies, then that is your choice. I am trying to find out if people are interested in a safer, more secure, option...and so far all the votes seem to indicate that that is the case.

Also...just because these days everybody collects all kinds of data; That doesn't mean that we, as customers, have to like that.
Would you walk into a store and give the store owner a list of all the people that you know, including their phone numbers, email addresses, birthdays and home address? Give them a copy of all the photos that you have made? A list of all the websites that you have visited? ...would you actually go into that store or would you go somewhere else?

I also think that this could be a good option for Umi. try to be different and give people a choice. That is good for customers and thus good for business.

Thank you to everyone who has voted so far.

Use magic Report

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits

UMIerDie-Hard UMI Fans

Post time 2015-8-3 07:20:52 | Show all posts
Woah! Take a deep breath, Umidaze!

It's clear that you are passionate about having more privacy built into your OS. I think you might find there are others that don't mind so much but are unlikely to vote on this poll, particularly because I think the "no" options are a little loaded. As if anyone will pick "no. I like it when google knows everything I do"! Maybe a better option should be "no. I am happy with the Google OS".

I think it's an interesting discussion, however, I think the OS is a little young to be jumping on yet. Side-loading all of my wanted apps seems a little painful and having access to unmoderated app marketplaces (like aptiode) might actually result in people downloading unsafe apps, and I'd rather Google know what I'm doing over an app scammer. I've also read that the OS has shown to have trouble running some basic apps (like fruit ninja) due to incompatibility issues.

At the moment,  I'd prefer to run a stable OS then to have one that provides great options, but is unstable. I think sailfish looks interesting... but I wouldn't jump on it yet.

Use magic Report

12Next
You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

!fastreply! Top !return_list!