2 218
View: 218|Reply: 2

Clonezilla backup of S2 Pro phone ?

[Copy link]

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2018-1-13 06:56:07 | Show all posts |Read mode
WARNING: Do not attempt anthing here in this post if you are not prepared to 'brick' (make your phone useless) your phone This is not for amateurs, this is for geeks lol!

I wonder, could a backup of the phone be done using Clonezilla, which makes 'image' backups of drives? I use Clonezilla (opensource, free, incredible software) to backup my Windows 10 operative system drive. And android phone is basically a computer operating system and files on a drive, a solid state drive.  Why couldn't clonezilla make a backup of the entire phone as it does for other traditional drives with operating systems? Linux has no problem accessing folders and files on the S2 Pro or any other android phone, and Clonezilla is a live boot DVD/CD Linux operating system so it would easily see an android phone as a drive with an operating system and associated files and user data files.

I just accessed my S2 Pro with Linux (I have Linux Mint 18 on my desktop PC) and here is the structure of Umidigi S2 Pro:

Umidigi S2 Pro phone folders

Umidigi S2 Pro phone folders

Thoughts? Do you think this is possible?

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
Post time 2018-2-21 15:49:44 | Show all posts
Edited by kajsa_katt at 2018-2-23 02:44 \n\n
I don't see anything in your screen dump that isn't visible when you cable it up with Windows.
The problem is with hidden partitions. If you do not see them they will not be copied.

I've used Clonezilla to make backups of Android tablets and dual boot Android/Windows tablets with success,
but you have to BOOT your device with Clonezilla.
My tablets did not, however, contain Efuse protection (the root [pun intended] of all evil)...

So you will have to find a way to boot the S2pro from USB/otg to be able to make a full backup of the handset ROM.
If you boot from the phone ROM it has to be rooted to make a full backup which is not possible (rooting) with Efuse protection on the device (Catch-22!)....the more I think about it the more impressed I get with UMiDIGIs Apple attempt.

The Efuse protection of the UMiDIGI devices is soft, as opposed to hard, which in theory makes it possible to crack, but a shitload of work is necessary to do it...

But the thought is good! Someone somewhere might well have a tool that is possible to use...

Thanks/Erich

threads

credits

Diamond Member

credits
Post time 2018-2-23 07:06:20 | Show all posts
Edited by kajsa_katt at 2018-2-23 07:12 \n\n

One thought: I've actually never tried to boot a phone from USB on OTG adapter.
I might try it sometime on my UMiDIGI S which has same problem as your S2pro:
UMiCRAP OS and Efuse. Let me know what happens!

Thanks/Erich

You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

!fastreply! Top !return_list!