36 1036
Author: tallnutt

New Umidigi S2 pro experience

[Copy link]

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-15 10:05:30 | Show all posts
The new phone is going very well. Like most, I find the camera is only ok, not amazing, but not tried any other camera apps yet. In the past I've never found that they make a difference. Still have the headphone connection problem. Have to restart the phone after using headphones to get the sound back. I'm hoping Umidigi will fix this with a future update (please!!??).

There is a slight issue with app icons on the home screen.. some are not displayed properly and have square borders, not round.
Some apps seem to ahve trouble getting push notifications sometimes - FB, chat etc.. they only notify when I start the app. This will be annoying if I can't fix it.

Phone is super fast and battery is still at 50-60% at the end of the day. Very happy still so far. All the problems seem to be OS related, not hardware.

T.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-15 12:01:59 | Show all posts
I have just realised that notifications may not work for an app unless it is protected under >settings >permission management >screen off cleaning whitelist

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2018-1-16 07:08:07 | Show all posts
tallnutt replied at 2018-1-15 10:05
The new phone is going very well. Like most, I find the camera is only ok, not amazing, but not trie ...

To get sound back, please disconnect headphones adapter when screen is off.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-16 09:36:15 | Show all posts
Ok, the headphone problem seems to have gone - even when I disconnect with screen on, the icon goes and sound is ok. There is definitely a problem with notifications though. Even if an app is protected from cleaning, I do not get notifications from Facebook or Gmail unless I open the app. I can't find any settings to change this, so again it seems to be a fairly bad OS issue.

T.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-16 10:29:35 | Show all posts
There is definitely the well known notifications Android 7 problem.. so far, no settings make any difference: battery optimisations, permissions, priorities etc. etc.. updating apps etc. nothing. Notifications are randomly late or not at all until checked manually. This kind of negates the whole point of having a phone. It MUST ring when you get a message! If its not fixed soon , I'll have to return the phone. real shame because otherwise its great. Why don't you actually TEST phones before you sell them??

T.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-17 08:49:08 | Show all posts
I think I have fixed the notifications problem. I UNCHECKED all apps in the settings> battery > screen off clean whitelist . I think this option is supposed to stop the apps from being closed while in background, but checking this actually leaves them ON so that they think you are using them and don't notify. So if you want notifications, uncheck all.

The only problem I have now is that Facebook crashes every time it goes into background and won't start again.. but I think that is a Facebook problem, not the phone.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-18 11:07:09 | Show all posts
Edited by tallnutt at 2018-1-18 12:00 \n\nI fell into the trap of other in thinking the second camera is fake.. However, it does have a slight effect on Bokeh and the app detects when it is covered.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-19 10:14:29 | Show all posts
The latest update seems to have fixed the option: settings> Permission Management> screen-off cleaning whitelist
Apps checked on the list now do not close in background.. making everything much better

Notifications are now working better too. I'm getting to like the phone more now.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2018-1-20 18:55:07 | Show all posts
Thanks for some good information here. I'm on the newest unofficial ROM. Faster and smoother for sure. Let's see about the bugs.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-26 14:20:49 | Show all posts
What is the 'unofficial rom'? How do I install it, because I don't have a Windows PC?

Also, some apps are still being cleaned, gmail and whatsapp in particular.
Also wifi now turning off when screen off.

Thanks.
1234Next
You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

!fastreply! Top !return_list!