New Umidigi S2 pro experience

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2018-1-12 04:59:42 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi,

I have a new s2 pro.  I'm going to post my experience here as I use the phone.  So far it's OK. No major problems but some annoying things..

Screen seems good.
Camera is so-so..
Can't add bookmarks to homescreen

There is a dim red light flashing behind the phone speaker grill all the time.  But there are no notifications.

Phone seems fast enough for me so far.  Certainly faster than my old Xiaomi Redmi note 3.

Cheers.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-5-1 09:22:54 | Show all posts
Probably my final update on this. I still have the terrible RAM management problem - apps closing in background. But now also getting wifi cinnection problems and slow erratic speeds (other devices are fine). The screen is getting less responsive. My phone restarts randomly ~ once per day. Screen cracked very easily. I do not think this phone is going to last very long. I'm sad and angry but in the end I should have just paid more for a better brand.

Sorry UMIDIGI but I will not be buying any of your products again. This phone is terrible.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-5-21 12:16:08 | Show all posts
MM12a replied at 2018-5-19 18:03
I have had the UMIDIGI S2 Pro for 7 days now!
It's downright horrible.
Ads on lock screen.

Download and flash the Basic unofficial ROM from the rom section of the forum. This should make your phone work and get rid of the bloatware and adware. I installed novalauncher too. The phone is much better now but still has a lot of problems, apps being closed and slowness / freezing is the worst.

Other option - send phone back to shop and buy another one - like a Xiaomi.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
Post time 2018-4-4 19:41:42 | Show all posts
ramzio13 replied at 2018-4-4 19:29
Problems:
-Bluetooth (disconnects)
-Reboots (1-2 times a week)

- The touch screen is sometimes unresponsive like when you type fast some touches are 'swallowed'.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2018-3-7 05:44:57 | Show all posts
My first experience with the Chinese Android phone was a Zop before I had a UMI.  Think it called UMI Max.  Everything worked while other users complained like hell on its GPS.  After a year I switched to Vernee Apollo Lite that has a much better GPS and 10-core CPU.

I now own a S2 Pro and has ordered a second one for the wife.  Overall I am satisfied with its specification and stated performance.

There are shortcomings like the screen could be more sensitive, Camera could be improved on according to its hardware specification although nothing wrong with it.  In software side the only bad point I experience is Facebook doesn't seem to load successfully every time but I am not sure if this relates to Android 7 or the phone hardware.

There are a few surprising features that I consider s2 Pro better than others

The 128GB Rom is huge already and I can still add a MicroSDXC with 275GB to it.  If that is not enough I can run my 512GB ssd directly with its USB-C port.

The battery is definitely a major successful feature of S2 Pro.  Other phones can give you more than 5100mAH battery but are much much heavier.  I have never managed to drain dry my battery in any one day use yet.   My last Vernee Apollo Lite has a 3180mAH and I always need to carry a power pack when traveling.  I think the Android 7 may be also more effective in utilize the power too.

I ordered my phone according to the spec published by UMI.  Everything works straight out of the box same as my last UMI and Vernee phone.  Thus the Quality Control seems reliable enough.

The price of S2 Pro, especially during the promotion period, is unbeatable for other phones with the same spec at double the price.  There are phones using the Snapdragon CPU that can out run the Mediatek P25 in S2 Pro but each asks at least twice amount of money without giving a comparable battery or the option to add SDXC card.  There other phones using Mediatek P25 with competitive price as S2 Pro too but they can't beat S2 Pro's battery, screen definition/size and ram/rom configuration.

Overall I found S2 Pro has not disappointed me and is really a lot of phone for its money.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-12 05:21:28 | Show all posts
I just did the system update. Red light has gone off so it must have been that. Update is ok.
Stil can't add home bookmarks.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2018-1-12 07:09:43 | Show all posts
Has to be activated first in home screen settings.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-12 08:01:38 | Show all posts
Where are home screen settings?

Also screen seems a bit unresponsive. Sometimes have to tap 2  or 3 times.

Sound quality is good. Tried it through my car amp today, via cable.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-12 08:15:02 | Show all posts
ah ok. found it. Thanks.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-12 11:00:16 | Show all posts
So far today on my first day of use, after 7 hours, still have 79% battery. My Xiaom (4Ahr) would be about 50-60 by now.

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-12 12:53:05 | Show all posts
Have the headphone icon staying on now after removing phones and no sound.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2018-1-13 05:59:52 | Show all posts
Day 1 of my Umidigi S2 Pro. Initially had charging issues but figured out USB c had to be firmly snugly pushed into S2 usb c port for connection to charge.
Malwarebytes found two system files that have adware, I am not happy with that, but I disabled the two apps and will see if that causes issues with the phone function, if not I will leave those two apps disabled (see my post on this on this forum). Not a fan of the red charging cable so I ordered a different one (black, braided cable) on Amazon. Took about 10 minutes at local AT&T store to get the phone working with my existing prepaid month to month AT&T account. Happy with phone so far. Bought it from GearBest.com and it took 4 weeks to arrive from China from Gearbest to USA (Minnesota).

threads

credits

Platinum Member

credits
 Author| Post time 2018-1-13 10:06:25 | Show all posts
Edited by tallnutt at 2018-1-15 09:59 \n\nYes, I had same trouble with usb socket, But it actually clicks in and is very secure. I found that the Chrome News feed home page had adware. I disabled the chrome news page and now its gone.. there's instructions on how to do it using the chrome://flags settings.

threads

credits

credits
Post time 2018-1-13 21:23:40 | Show all posts
Hi,  
I really love this phone...  I m saving up though...  I know the pri e is okay...  But i really wish it will come down. Love
Lo
12345678Next
You have to log in before you can reply Login | WELCOME TO UMIDIGI COMMUNITY

Points Rules

!fastreply! Top !return_list!